Hotel Biz Link – Global Hotel Business Magazine

The Global News Source of Hotel & Lodging Industry

Business Travel Providing Boost to Hilton Hotels

Hilton Hotels Business Boost Through Business Travelers

Business Travel Gives Hilton a Surprising Boost

eisure travel remains Hilton’s best performer, but a surge in business travel, particularly from smaller businesses, has boosted the company’s profitability in recent months.

Hilton posted a $240 million profit for the third quarter on Wednesday, the company’s second consecutive profitable quarter during the epidemic. Leisure travel led the rebound, with reservations and rates matching or exceeding pre-pandemic levels.

However, business travel is resuming, providing the company with a much-needed lift after many disastrous quarters amid the health crisis.

Hilton CEO Christopher Nassetta stated, “Business transient will continue to climb higher; you’ll see continued strength in small and medium-sized businesses, which aren’t quite back to pre-covid levels but are getting close”.

Not all business travel is resurrecting. Demand from larger corporate clients is around 40% lower than in 2019, but Nassetta doesn’t appear to be concerned about the reduced line of business.

Prior to the pandemic, Hilton aimed to attract more businesses from small and medium-sized businesses, which resulted in a speedier recovery. Many of these firms do not have the luxury of working remotely and have to work in person. According to Nassetta, 70% of US firms are now back on road.

Smaller Business demand is just 5-10% lower than that of 2019. Because the corporation has prioritised this business line above significant corporate contracts, Hilton’s overall business transient demand is 90% of pre-pandemic levels.

Smaller firms accounted for over 80% of Hilton’s pre-pandemic business transitory demand, with big enterprises accounting for the remaining 20%. Nassetta believes that in the future, the split will be 90-10.

“We’ve carried on our efforts from before Covid to sharpen our emphasis on this area of demand,” he added.

“This demand is higher rated and more resilient, which has helped us recover faster in business transitory and should drive rate compression in the future as larger corporate travel takes up”.