Hotel Biz Link – Global Hotel Business Magazine

The Global News Source of Hotel & Lodging Industry

Three Sandals Resort Deaths Were Caused by Carbon Monoxide - Report

Report About The 3 Recent Mysterious Deaths At Sandals Resort

The Three Sandals Resort Deaths Were Caused by Carbon Monoxide – Report

According to The Nassau Guardian, the cause of death for three American vacationers who died earlier this month at Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas, was carbon monoxide poisoning. The entire autopsy and toxicology findings are anticipated to be made public shortly.

Two of those killed were members of the travel business community: Robbie Phillips, 65, and her husband Michael Phillips, 68. Vincent Chiarella, 64, was the third visitor; his wife, Donnis Chiarella, 65, was discovered alive and taken to a hospital, where she was believed to be in stable condition before recovering.

Per the Royal Bahamas Police Force, the Phillipses both complained of sickness the night before and were treated at a nearby clinic before returning to the resort.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Sandals said, “We remain devastated by the unimaginable event that occurred at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort earlier this month that resulted in the loss of three lives, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest. We wish to once again extend our deepest sympathies and our heartfelt condolences to the Phillips and Chiarella families”.

“Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one standalone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food, and beverage service, landscaping services, or foul play”.

“It is for this reason that we have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across the resort. In addition, CO detectors have now been placed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and although not mandated in any Caribbean destination where we operate, detectors will be installed in all guest rooms throughout the portfolio,” the Sandals spokesperson continued.