Premier Dominic Perrottet has said that starting December 27, density limitations of one person per two square meters for hospitality establishments would be reinstalled, and QR code measures will be “reintroduced in a restricted manner.” The mask and density limitations will remain in effect until January 27.
The usage of masks inside and the use of QR code check-ins were mainly discontinued on December 15, however, the state has experienced a significant spike in COVID-19 cases.
He described the modifications as “minimal” and said they would lessen the load on a health system that had been destroyed by the loss of 1,500 staff workers who were ill or isolated.
“We think the changes made today to be fair and balanced, they are proportionate in making sure we can keep people safe, the biggest concern that has come through over the last 24 to 48 hours has been the impact on health staff,” he said.
Mr. Perrottet also stated that the government was considering launching a program to give free quick antigen testing as part of a plan to transition away from PCR tests. He stated that the health and finance ministers had been charged with developing a model like the one used in the United Kingdom, which he anticipated would begin in early 2022.
On 23 Dec, NSW registered 5,715 new COVID-19 cases, as the number of individuals brought to hospitals with the virus continues to rise.
It is the largest number of daily COVID-19 infections reported in any Australian jurisdiction and represents a 1,952 increase over last day’s total of 3,763 cases. COVID hospitalizations have increased to 347, up from 302 the previous day, with 45 patients in ICU.
Mr. Perrottet asked the people of NSW to take personal responsibility in following the rules and be cautious over the Christmas period.
“As we have always said, we will tailor our settings accordingly and at the moment we believe the settings we have made today will ensure that we have a strong summer, people remain safe,” he said.